The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Protocol, Visits and Events
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Embassy in Azerbaijan is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for 2 interns to assist with wider administrative duties while gaining an insight in the workings of an embassy.
During the internship, you will gain insight into, and become actively involved in a variety of interesting areas, through activities such as event and visits management, booking of transport and accommodation, translating/interpreting, arranging meetings, taking meeting minutes, etc.
The successful candidates will work as part of a dynamic Embassy team, helping to deliver UK foreign policy objectives in Azerbaijan and promote UK values.
During the internship, you will gain insight into, and become actively involved in a variety of interesting areas, through activities such as:
- Support teams in daily activities including administration;
- Support in office printing/copying/scanning, electronic filing, shredding and other necessary admin activities;
- Draft and translate Note Verbales and other documents from English to Azerbaijan/Azerbaijani to English;
- Arrange travel and accommodation bookings for the Embassy staff and visitors;
- Arrange meetings and accompany to meetings to produce written meeting notes and interpretation;
- Support in the organisation of events and visits (event planning, managing invitations and guest lists, attending and welcoming guests and networking);
- Other duties as deemed operationally necessary by the Management.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Proficiency, written and spoken in English and Azerbaijani (minimum level required C1 under the CEFRL or equivalent*);
- Minimum High School Diploma level;
- Excellent self-organisation and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proactive self-starter;
- An eagerness to test their ability in new pieces of work;
- Good team player;
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritise and handle multitasks;
- Strong IT skills, in particular Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Knowledge of good verbal Russian
- Experience in related field or customer service
Required behaviours : Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together
Application deadline : 30 March 2023
Grade : Internship
Type of Position : Intern
Working hours per week : 40
Region : Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Country/Territory : Azerbaijan
Location (City) : Baku
Type of Post : British Embassy
Number of vacancies : 2
Salary Currency : USD
Stipend / Allowance : 866.65 USD gross monthly salary
Start Date : 24 April 2023
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The salary is USD 866.65 gross per month and shall be paid in AZN monthly. These are full-time internships with a duration of 6 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Azerbaijan is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service of the FCDO according to local labour legislation.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Azerbaijan. The British Embassy does not sponsor, nor does it provide assistance for obtaining work & resident permits.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.