At the end of this short course you’ll have programmed your first game. You’ll learn gameplay development fundamentals by really doing it – writing and running real code on your own machine.
Each step of the course has the source code attached exactly as it should look at that time (click “View Resources” then “Downloadable Resources”), for you to compare to or pick up from, so you can’t get stuck!
Begin Your Game Programming Journey the Proven Way
“Make the simplest game possible.” “Program a ball and paddle project.” “Practice by first remaking something from the 1970’s.” All beginning developers hear this advice from more experienced peers… because it works!
By following this approach you will:
- Learn design from a fun classic that people know and enjoy.
- Start your practice today – now! – without waiting for an idea.
- Finish your game in hours or in a weekend, not over months.
- Understand every line of code used in the entire program.
- Avoid distraction from searching for or creating detailed art.
- Master fundamentals needed to make your own games better.
- You can program this game with a normal text editor, and run it in the web browser you already have. No special software is needed.
Who this course is for:
- This is for anyone who wants a quick but thorough introduction to simple game programming in a way that doesn’t require any special software, download, or installation
- If you’ve had at least a little exposure to generic programming concepts like variables, functions, and if-statements you’ll have an advantage, however in case you’ve never heard those terms they’re explained briefly as they come up